Here you can find frequently asked questions and their answers.

Could you tell me the deadline for each term?

<Student Visa Application>

  • We have four admission dates in a year (January, April, July and October). * Nagano campus is in April and October.
  • For those applying for a student visa, each term has its own deadline. Please contact us well in advance.
  • Time of entry and application deadlines are below (When number of applicants is full, we will close application).
    Enrollment date January April July October
    Approximate Application Deadline Early August Previous year Late October Previous year Early February Late April
    Application Submission at Immigration Mid September Previous year Late November Previous year Late March Late May
    Result will be announced by paying fees. sending the COE* issued by the Immigration Bureau of Japan Late Nov. Previous year Late February Late May Late August
    Apply to visa at Embassy/Consulate Early Dec. Previous year Early March Early June Early September

    * COE : Certificate of Eligibility

<Other types of visa>

  • For those students under a working holiday visa or any other visa that is not a student visa, they can apply up until one month before class start upon availability.
  • We accept enrollment for Kyoto campus Japanese Language Course every month (All Levels).

How many students per classes?

The maximum number of students per class is 20 (Kyoto Campus: General Japanese Course is 15). However, there might be times when the number of students exceeds 20. This usually happens right after the placement test due to too many students placed at the same level. In any case it will be corrected early during the term.

Could you tell me the class hours?

  • Class time will depend on student’s placement. Therefore, students will not be able to choose between morning and afternoon classes.
  • Typically, afternoon classes are reserved for Beginners to Intermediate. Morning classes are reserved for upper Intermediate to Advanced (Depending on the scheduling, this might change).
  • Students who have never studied Japanese can enroll in the morning in Kyoto Campus, General Japanese Course.
  • Each school class schedule is listed below.
School Morning  Afternoon Lesson length
Takadanobaba Campus 8:50~12:00 13:00~16:10 90mins×2 Lessons
Ikebukuro Campus 8:50~12:00 13:00~16:10 90mins×2 Lessons
Kyoto Campus 8:50~12:00 13:00~16:10 90mins×2 Lessons
Nagano Campus 8:50~12:00 13:00~16:10  90mins×2 Lessoons

I have never studied Japanese before, can I enroll?

  • We accept the enrollment of those students that have never studied Japanese before. However, in order to ensure a smooth start, it is always a good idea to learn at least hiragana.
  • We recommend that those students who do not have a basic knowledge of the language, start at the beginning of each of the four terms (two for Nagano Campus).

Can I enroll in the middle of a term?

  • Tokyo and Nagano campus accept mid-term enrollment if the student has studied Japanese before and can read and write Hiragana and Katakana without problem.
  • Students who have never studied Japanese can enroll in Kyoto Campus, General Japanese Course. please ask us for further information.
  • There will be a simple test before enrollment in order to determine if the student can enroll mid-term.

When can I start taking elective classes?

  • Normally, elective classes are available for those students that are placed in Intermediate or above.
  • Classes can be arranged by student accordingly. Each school offers different elective classes, so please be careful when choosing which school to attend.

Do the teachers use English or Chinese while teaching?

  • We teach using a direct method. The teacher will only use Japanese inside the classroom. They would bring cards with drawings and pictures so even if you are a beginner, you would have no problem understanding what they are trying to say.
  • Once you get used to this style of learning, you will start thinking in Japanese; therefore, you will learn the language at a much faster pace. You should take it as a challenge since you’ve come this far.

I am a high school student; would I be studying with students that are over 18 years of age?

  • Since we assign classes according to the student’s level, you will be studying together with other students no matter their age, length of study or type of visa. You will be placed in a class that is suitable to your level.

Can I extend my length of study once the course has started?

  • Of course you can extend the length of your studies. If you are here on a student visa, please talk to the school staff about the process and related fees of extending the visa.

Would there be quizzes and homework?

  • Yes there will be homework and quizzes. In order to retain what you’ve learned during class、You will have homework almost every day.
  • Also, every chapter in your textbook will have a chapter test. At the end of the term, in order to see your progress, you will have a general test which includes conversation, reading, listening and comprehension and an essay.

Would I earn a degree or a diploma after completing Japanese Language School?

  • Yes, at the end of the course, you will earn a “Certificate of Accomplishment” with the course dates printed.
  • Also for those students that are on a student visa for a course longer than one year and would finish in March, We will give them a Graduation Certificate.
  • We will also issue a certificate of attendance for those students that are applying for a scholarship or need to present it to a public agency. This is not the same as a college or university degree.

Does the school have Wi-Fi available?

  • Yes, all campuses have Wi-Fi access.
  • Also there are computer stations at every campus for the use of the students during break time and after classes.

For how many months can I book accommodation?

  • The minimum is two weeks、There are certain types of accommodation where the minimum is one month. We recommend not to book accommodation for more than 3 months at a time.
  • If you would like to extend your stay, please consult with the housing staff. You should be able to extend the contract directly thru them.
  • Please be aware that there is no refund even in the case of the student wanting to leave the room in the middle of the contract.

Can I use the internet where I’ll be staying at?

  • Student houses and Guest houses have internet connectivity at each room either thru LAN-ports or Wi-Fi.
  • In the case of Homestay, there are some homes that are not equipped with internet. Also there are homes where there is internet access in the living-room but not at each bedroom.

Could you tell me what kind of facilities or furniture I will find where I will be staying?

  • At all types of accommodation there will be a bed with bedding and a desk.
  • The facilities are different depending on the type of accommodation、Please refer to the Accommodations web-page for more information.

How far from the school are the student houses/Homestay/Guest Houses /Weekly Mansions?

  • The student houses at Nagano campus within walking distance. They are very convenient.
  • Takadanobaba and Ikebukuro campus are located in the center of Tokyo. Students will be commuting by train from each accommodation. The public transportation system in Tokyo is extremely organized so there should not be any worries about commuting to school. (Commuting time:30~60 mins)
  • Most Homestay houses are located within 50mins to 1 hour and a half to from the school. For more information about each type of accommodation, please refer to the Accomodations web-page.

What kind of Accommodation Facility is a Guest House?

  • There are several furnished share-houses in Tokyo; Guest Houses are one of them.
  • The difference with shared-houses is that they have between 50 to 100 rooms and about half of the occupants are Japanese in their 20’s.
  • The rooms are single rooms, but the kitchen, bathroom and laundry room are shared, also there is usually a shared dining room and TV room. Food must be cooked by oneself.

I am a vegetarian/have pet allergies/non-smoker. Can you find a host family that would suit my needs?

  • There is a space in the application form to write down if you have a particular dislike of certain kinds of food, allergies information, etc. We try to match the student with a particular family based on the information that the student give us.

Can my family stay with me at the student houses/Homestay/Guest Houses/Weekly Mansions?

  • Due to the policy of each facility, we do not allow a person other than the student, stay at the facilities.
  • Students would have to arrange a different type of accommodation, such as hotels, for their family to stay.

Can I contact the host family before my arrival in Japan?

  • About 2 weeks before the student arrival, we will send the host family’s information along with their e-mail address and phone number, you can contact them before you come to Japan.
  • Sometimes it may take time for the family to reply to your e-mail.


How much would the monthly living expenses be?

  • Rent, food and utilities should run about: ¥​70,000 to ¥​170,000 in Tokyo.
    ¥​55,000 to ¥​130,000 in Kyoto and Nagano.
(Prices in JPY)   
Food ¥​25,000 ~ ¥​50,000 ¥​21,600 ~ ¥​40,000
Trasportation ¥​5,000 ~ ¥​30,000 ¥​2,000 ~¥​​10,000
Communications Expenses ¥​4,000 ~ ¥​10,000 ¥​4,000 ~ ¥​10,000
  • Below is the average price for eating outside.
(Prices in JPY)   
Eating (type of meal) Price
Hamburgers sets (with fries and a drink) ¥​500 ~ ¥​800
MacDonald’s Big Mac combo ¥​650
Beef Bowl (GYUDON)  regular size ¥​300
Starbucks Tall Latte ¥​370

How can I get a mobile phone in Japan?

  • Those with a student visa can get a mobile phone if they have a residence card and a Japanese bank account.
  • For those that come as a temporary visitor, you will only be able to buy a prepaid mobile-phone. For more information about the mobile phone’s contract, please use the link below. Also, if it is for a short time, you could rent a phone at the airport*.

How should I bring money into Japan?

  • Most Japanese banking institutes will not allow foreign nationals to open a bank account unless they have already resided in Japan for more than 6 months.
  • The easiest way to bring money is by opening an account on a foreign bank that has branches in Japan (Citibank, etc…) and withdraw the money at their branches.
  • Most Chinese students get a “YIN LIAN” card in China which let them withdraw cash from Japanese ATMs.
  • Just in case, it is recommended that the student brings a credit card. ATMs in Japan with the seal of “Plus””Citrus””Visa” can be used to withdraw cash.

Can you tell me about the weather and climate in Japan?

  • Japan is a long country from north to south; we also have four seasons throughout the year. Its weather and climate varies largely from city to city. Please refer to the following website for more information about the climate in Tokyo, Gifu and Nagano.

How does the public transportation system work in Japan?

  • In Tokyo and Kyoto, there are trains, buses and subways running throughout the city. Normally, people use passes and IC cards that can be charged.
  • In Nagano, most of the time you will be taking the local bus or riding a bicycle.
  • Rechargeable IC cards are used by many public transportation systems throughout the country. We recommend getting one. To get the card you must pay a 500 Yen deposit, this deposit will be given back when you return the card.

Can you tell me about health insurance in Japan?

  • By law, every person that will stay in Japan for more than 3 month, must get the “National Health insurance”.
  • Once insured, if injured or sick, the student would only pay 30% of the medical costs.
  • The student should get the insurance as soon as possible after arriving in Japan at the city office of the district where the student resides. The cost of the insurance varies depending on the area and the income of the applicant.
  • However, for those students coming under a temporary visitor’s status, they will not be able to get the national insurance. Therefore, it is very important that such students bring their own travelers insurance in case of illness or other unexpected events.

Can I work part-time?

  • Student visa holders can work for up to 28 hours a week after getting their “Permission to engage in activity other than that permitted”.
  • However, there is a restriction on the type of job allowed. Students on a temporary visitor’s visa are not allowed to work.

How long does it take the process for the visa application

It takes about 6 months for the visa application process. Please contact us well in advance.

How can I apply?

  • The documents needed from students applying for a student visa are different than for those who will not need a visa.
  • For those students coming with a temporary visitor’s visa or a working holiday visa, please fill out the online application form and click the “send” button at the end of the page..
  • For those students that will need a student visa、please contact us by clicking here.

How do I pay for the classes?

  • Once the application is processed, the school will issue an invoice with the amount to be paid. Please make the payment through the bank.
  • For those students paying from abroad, there is an international bank transfer surcharge from ¥​4,500 to ¥​6,500.

Do you offer scholarships or other kind of tuition discount?

Yes we do. We have the ISI award system and different scholarships from outside entities。For more information, please click here.

Would I get to know on what level I’ll be placed when I submit my application?

  • For those students with previous Japanese learning experience, sometimes we have them take a level check test before they start their classes in order to get a rough idea on their level and prepare for their arrival.
  • However, since this will only give us a rough estimate on their level, the final decision on their placement is made at their level check interview and test on their first day at school.
  • The teacher in charge will evaluate your level and decide on the most suitable class for the student.

When should I get my plane ticket to Japan?

  • Please arrange your flight ticket so that you’ll be arriving the day before the orientation.
  • After getting your flight ticket to Japan, please send a copy of your e-ticket to the school staff helping you with your application.
  • If you have asked us to be picked up at the airport, we must receive your flight information and e ticket by e-mail at least 7 business days before your arrival.

How much money should I bring to Japan?

  • Even if you arrive on a weekend, you should be able to withdraw funds from an ATM. You will need enough money to cover for the train fare from the airport and living and food expenses for about a week, about ¥100,000 should be good.

Do I need to study Japanese before arriving in Japan?

  • We have classes for the absolute beginners. However, it is always a good idea to learn Hiragana and Katakana before coming to Japan.
  • It will make transition easier. Hiragana and Katakana are what the alphabet is to English,
  • We highly recommend that you learn Hiragana and Katakana before coming to Japan. It will help you a lot.