Originally, the area’s name was read Takatanobaba and many Tokyo residents in their 50s or older pronounce it as such.
However, younger Tokyoites and residents who have come from outside Tokyo, use the pronunciation Takadanobaba.
The area was previously and officially known as Totsuka (戸塚).
In 1636, the shogun Tokugawa Iemitsu built in the area a baba, a ground for horseback riding and horse racing.
Takata was the family name of the mother of Matsudaira Tadateru (the sixth son of Iemitsu’s grandfather, the previous shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu) who favored the area as a sightseeing spot.
The name stuck to prevent confusion with nearby Totsuka town near Yokohama (now Totsuka-ku, Yokohama).