As the number of cases of people infected with the novel coronavirus keeps rising in the People’s Republic of China and in Japan, ISI Japanese Language School1 is taking all the appropriate measures in its dormitories and campuses in order to prevent the spread of the infection, in compliance with the relevant directives from government related organizations.
1) Henceforth: “ISI”
ISI will immediately report any suspected or confirmed cases of coronavirus infection, among its students or staff members, to the director of its administrative department, who is responsible for the hygiene and safety within the school. The director will quickly respond to the report and take the appropriate measures, by providing assistance to those who have contracted (or are suspected to have contracted) the virus, as well as contacting the local authorities and health centres, and directly consulting with hospitals.
【10 measures to prevent the spreading of the infection within the school 】
In compliance with the “School Health and Safety Act” and other relevant regulations, ISI is taking all the necessary measures to prevent the spread of the disease, such as monitoring the students’ health and keeping track of their trips outside Japan, as well as when they enroll at ISI or move into any of the school’s dormitories.
The list of all the measures is as follows:
1. Encouraging the students, teachers and members of the staff to take all the necessary precautions to avoid the spread of the infection, such as: gargling, washing their hands, covering their nose and mouth when they cough or sneeze, eating enough, getting enough rest.
2. Informing the students about the above precautionary measures by sending them e-mails, posting posters on the school’s bulletin board and having staff members directly instruct them on how to effectively protect themselves from the infection.
3. Providing each campus with hand soap and antiseptic hand spray, as well as putting even more effort in the cleaning of the school buildings and dormitories.
4. Inviting students and other people visiting ISI campuses to wear masks while at school.
5. Inviting students to stay at home or have a medical examination if they show any symptoms that may be associated with the novel coronavirus, such as fever or cough (regardless of whether they have traveled abroad in the past weeks or not).
6. Preventing students who are suspected to have contracted the virus from coming to school, and instructing them to have a medical examination and stay at home as much as possible.
7. Treating the absence of students who need to recover at home as authorized absence, if they submit a medical certificate to the school.
8. Informing the school principals about any students, teachers and staff members coming from China, and readmitting them to school only if they received the approval of the principal of their campus.
9. Requesting the students and staff members to present a “Certificate of full recovery”, after they have recovered from the virus, in order for them to be readmitted to school.
10. Suspending or expelling the students who do not cooperate with the school in its effort to enact the above measures.
In order for its students to be able to study in a safe environment, ISI will take all the necessary measures to prevent the spread of the infection.
ISI is therefore requesting its students’ kind understanding and cooperation.
・Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (Home Page) “Regarding the outbreak of the novel coronavirus”
・Ministry of Foreign Affairs-Overseas Travel Safety (Home Page)
・National Institute of Infectious Diseases (Home Page)
・Measures to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus