Create Your Global Dreams with ISI


Here is the frequently asked questions and answers

1.About the school

We have four admission dates in a year(January・April・July・October)For those applying for a student visa, each term has its own deadline、Please contact the school well in advance。For further details please refer to the school calendar。(NBL admission is in April and October only)

For those students under a working holiday visa or any other visa that is not a student visa, they can apply up until one month before class start based on availability.

The maximum number of students per class is 20. However, there might be times when the number of students exceeds 20. This usually happens right after the placement test due to too many students placed at the same level in any case it will be corrected early during the term.

Class time will depend on student’s placement. Therefore, students will not be able to choose between morning and afternoon classes

Each school class schedule is listed below.

Typically, afternoon classes are reserved for Beginners to Intermediate I, morning classes are reserved for Intermediate II to Advanced. (However, depending on the scheduling, this might change)

School Morning Classes Afternoon Classes Lessons length
ISI Language School 8:50~12:40 13:00~16:50 50minutes×4 lessons
ISI Language College 8:50~12:00 13:00~16:10 90minutes×2 lessons
ISI Chukyo 8:30~12:00 13:30~17:00 45minutes×4 lessons
Nagano Business and Language College 8:50~12:00 13:00~16:10 90minutes×4 lessons

Please refer to the Summer Program website for more information on our Summer Program.

We accept the enrollment of those students that have never studied Japanese before. However, in order to ensure a smooth start, it is always a good idea to learn at least hiragana.

We recommend that those students who do not have a basic knowledge of the language, start at the beginning of each of the four terms (two for Nagano Business and Language College)

We only accept mid-term enrollment if the student has studied Japanese before and can read and write Hiragana and Katakana without problem.

There will be a simple test before enrollment in order to determine if the student can enroll mid-term.

Normally, elective classes are available for those students that are placed in Intermediate or above.

After school has started、your homeroom teacher will ask those students that are eligible to take elective classes, what kind of elective classes they would like to take. Then he/she will arrange the classes accordingly. Each school offers different elective classes, so please be careful when choosing which school to attend.

We teach using a direct method. The teacher will only use Japanese inside the classroom. They would bring cards with drawings and pictures so even if you are a beginner, you would have no problem understanding what they are trying to say.
Once you get used to this style of learning, you will start thinking in Japanese; therefore, you will learn the language at a much faster pace.
You should take it as a challenge since you’ve come this far.

Since we assign classes according to the student’s level、You will be studying together with other students no matter their age, length of study or type of visa. You will be placed in a class that is suitable to your level.

Of course you can extend the length of your studies. If you are here on a student visa, please talk to the school staff about the process and related fees of extending the visa.

Yes there will be homework and quizzes. In order to retain what you’ve learned during class、You will have homework almost every day.

Also, every chapter in your textbook will have a chapter test. At the end of the term, in order to see your progress, you will have a general test which includes conversation, reading, listening and comprehension and an essay.

Yes, at the end of the course, you will earn a “Certificate of Accomplishment” with the course dates printed. Also for those students that are on a student visa for a course longer than one year and would finish in March, We will give them a Graduation Certificate. We will also issue a certificate of attendance for those students that are applying for a scholarship or need to present it to a public agency. This is not the same as a college or university degree.

Yes, all campuses have Wi-Fi access. Also there are computer stations at every campus for the use of the students during break time and after classes.

2.About Accommodation

The minimum is two weeks、There are certain types of accommodation where the minimum is one month. We recommend not to book accommodation for more than 3 months at a time.

If you would like to extend your stay、please consult with the housing staff. You should be able to extend the contract directly thru them.

Please be aware that there is no refund even in the case of the student wanting to leave the room in the middle of the contract.

Student houses and Guest houses have internet connectivity at each room either thru LAN-ports or Wi-Fi

In the case of Homestay, there are some homes that are not equipped with internet. Also there are homes where there is internet access in the living-room but not at each bedroom

At all types of accommodation there will be a bed with bedding and a desk.

The facilities are different depending on the type of accommodation、Please refer to the Accommodations web-page for more information.

The student houses at ISI Chukyo and Nagano Business and Language College are within walking distance. They are very convenient.

ISI Language School and ISI Language College are located in the middle of Tokyo. Students will be commuting by train from each accommodation. The public transportation system in Tokyo is extremely organized so there should not be any worries about commuting to school.

(Commuting time:30~60mins)

Most Homestay houses are located within 50min to 1 hour and a half to from the school. For more information about each type of accommodation, please refer to the Accomodations web-page.

There are several furnished share-houses in Tokyo; Guest Houses are one of those.

The difference with share-houses is that they have between 50 to 100 rooms and about half of the occupants are Japanese in their 20’s.

The rooms are single rooms, but the kitchen, bathroom and laundry room are shared, also there is usually a shared dining room and TV room. Food must be cooked by oneself.

There is a space in the application form to write down if you have a particular dislike of certain kinds of food, allergies information, etc… We try to match the student with a particular family based on the information that the student give us.

Due to the policy of each facility, we do not allow a person other than the student, stay at the facilities.

Students would have to arrange a different type of accommodation, such as hotels, for their family to stay.

About 2 weeks before the student arrival, we will send the hosts family’s information along with their e-mail address and phone number、you can contact them before you come to Japan.

Sometimes it may take time for the family to reply to your e-mail.

3.About living in Japan/Location

Rent, food and utilities should run about: 70,000 to 170,000JPY in Tokyo.
55,000 to 130,000JPY in Gifu and Nagano.

  Tokyo Gifu and Nagano
Food 25,000 yen ~ 50,000 yen 21,600 yen ~ 40,000 yen
Transportation 5,000 yen ~ 30,000 yen 2,000 yen ~ 10,000 yen
Communications expenses 4,000 yen ~ 10,000 yen 4,000 yen ~ 10,000 yen

Below is the average of eating outside

Eating out(type of meal) Cost
Hamburgers sets (with fries and a drink) About 500 yen ~ 800 yen
MacDonald’s Big Mac combo 650 yen
Beef Bowl (Reg) 300 yen
Starbucks Tall Latte 370 yen

For those with a student visa、if you have your residence card and a Japanese bank account, you can get a mobile-phone.

For those that come as a temporary visitor, you will only be able to buy a prepaid mobile-phone. For more information about the mobile-phone’s contract, please use the link below. Also, if it is for a short time, you could rent a phone at the airport.

Most Japanese banking institutes will not allow foreign nationals to open a bank account unless they have already resided in Japan for more than 6 months.

The easiest way to bring money is by opening an account on a foreign bank that has branches in Japan (Citibank, etc…) and withdraw the money at their branches.

Most Chinese students get a ”YIN LIAN” card in China which let them withdraw cash from Japanese ATMs.

Just in case, it is recommended that the student brings a credit card. ATMs in Japan with the seal of「Plus」「Citrus」「Visa」can be used to withdraw cash.

Japan is a long country from north to south; we also have four seasons throughout the year. Its weather and climate varies largely from city to city. Please refer to the following website for more information about the climate in Tokyo, Gifu and Nagano. this website(Russian)

There are many touristic places, movie theatres and museums in Tokyo. You could also enjoy shopping. There is absolutely no way to get bored in Tokyo.

If you are in Gifu, it only takes 20 minutes by train to get to Nagoya, the third biggest city in Japan. There is also a large shopping mall and museums within Gifu city.

In Ueda city, Nagano, there are touristic places such as, temples and hot springs nearby. There is also a shopping mall.

For ISI Chukyo or Nagano, most of the time you will be taking the local bus or riding a bicycle.

In Tokyo, there are trains, buses and subways running throughout the city. Normally, people use passes and IC cards that can be charged.

Rechargeable IC cards are used by many public transportation systems throughout the country. We recommend getting one. To get the card you must pay a 500 Yen deposit, this deposit will be given back when you return the card.
・Suica Card:
 (Russian) :
・Pasmo card :

By law、Every person that will stay in Japan for more than 3 month, must get the “National Health insurance”

Once insured、if injured or sick, the student would only pay 30% of the medical costs.

The student should get the insurance as soon as possible after arriving in Japan at the city office of the district in which the student resides. The cost of the insurance varies depending on the area and the income of the applicant.

However, for those students coming under a temporary visitor’s status, they will not be able to get the national insurance. Therefore, it is very important that such students bring their own travelers insurance in case of illness or other unexpected events.

Student visa holders can work for up to 28 hours a week after getting their “Permission to engage in activity other than that permitted”

However, there is a restriction on the type of job allowed.

Students on a temporary visitor’s visa are not allowed to work.

4.About the application

It takes about 6 months for the visa application process. Please contact us well in advance.

The documents needed from students applying for a student visa are different than for those who will not need a visa.

For those students coming with a temporary visitor’s visa or a working holiday visa, Please fill out the online application form and click the “send” button at the end of the page..

For those students that will need a student visa、please contact us by clicking here.

Please click here for the documents needed for the student visa.

Once the application is processed, the school will issue an invoice with the amount to be paid. Please make the payment thru the bank.

For those students paying from abroad, there is an international bank transfer surcharge of ¥4,500 to ¥6,500.

Yes we do. We have the ISI award system and different scholarships from outside entities。For more information, please click here.

For those students with previous Japanese learning experience, sometimes we have them take a level check test before they start their classes in order to get a rough idea on their level and prepare for their arrival.

However, since this will only give us a rough estimate on their level, the final decision on their placement is made at their level check interview and test on their first day at school.

The teacher in charge will evaluate your level and decide on the most suitable class for the student.

5.Things to do before arriving in Japan

Please arrange your flight ticket so that you’ll be arriving the day before the orientation. After getting your flight ticket to Japan, please send a copy of your e-ticket to the school staff helping you with your application. If you have asked us to be picked up at the airport, we must receive your flight information and e ticket by e-mail at least 7 business days before your arrival.

Even if you arrive on a weekend, you should be able to withdraw funds from an ATM. You will need enough money to cover for the train fare from the airport and living and food expenses for about a week, about ¥100,000 should be good.

We have classes for the absolute beginners. However, it is always a good idea to learn Hiragana and Katakana before coming to Japan. It just makes for a much smoother transition into the class. Hiragana and Katakana are what the alphabet is to Russian, We highly recommend that you learn Hiragana and Katakana before coming to Japan. It will help you a lot.

footer navigation

На начало страницы

ISI International Study Institute

ISI Education Group - Since 1977

Copyright © 2016 ISI Inc. All Rights Reserved.